Survey Methods and Health Training
WPEFC has delivered specialized training for consultants, field staff and others involved in whitebark and limber pine restoration for years. These courses provide field training and reference material tailored to whitebark and limber pine recovery.
Designed as two-day field courses accredited for professional development, the first day covers a general knowledge overview, and the second day encompasses the collection of detailed field data.
Participants will gain competency and a certificate issued by WPEFC demonstrating a consistent level of knowledge and technical skills required to support endangered whitebark and limber pine recovery.
Training and field experience directed by experts is essential to be able to collect accurate data that meets the requirements of recovery; without this competency, inaccuracies lead to ineffective, costly actions and decisions with negative long-term consequences for these keystone ecosystems. These sessions are tailored to professionals providing consulting services, ot those managing one or both of these species on their lands. You will cover material such as:
- Understanding the impacts of threats on these species and ecosystems
- Overview of recovery program including regulatory information
- Differentiating whitebark and limber pine in the field
- Identifying white pine blister rust and mountain pine beetle damage on five-needled pines
- Learning why rust ID is a key part of endangered species recovery
- Learning how to select plus trees in the field based on potential rust resistance
- Recording complete and accurate data in the field for trees or long-term monitoring plots
- Learning about collecting, handling, and transporting cones
Last year, we scheduled sessions in BC and AB, which were very well-received. For 2023, we are offering two sessions, both of which will be held in British Columbia. We will consider adding additional sessions or taking names for next year’s courses, if there is demand.
Training Sessions will be held at:
Apex Mountain (access via Penticton, BC)
- June 6/7 (register by May 26)
Bootleg Mountain (access via Cranbrook/Kimberley, BC)
- July 5/6 (register by June 25)
Professional = $650 / Members $575
There are a limited number of participants per session. Currently, maximum enrollment is up to 12, and minimum number is 4.
Should WPEFC need to cancel the course due to low registration or unforeseen circumstances, there is no cancellation fee. Should registrant cancel and the course proceeds, there is a 15% cancellation fee.