This Year's Conference
People and Pines: Human Impacts on 5-Needle Pines
The 2023 Science & Management Conference details:
- Conference Dates: October 12-13, 2023
- Location: Revelstoke, British Columbia
- Venue: Revelstoke Community Center (600 Campbell Avenue)
- Optional Field Trip Dates: October 11th (Kalamalka Forestry Centre, Vernon BC) and 14th at the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort near Golden, BC)
The annual Science and Management conference brings together researchers, managers, students, and enthusiasts of whitebark pine and related high-elevation, five-needled pine forested ecosystems in Canada and the United States. Once every five years, the conference is hosted in Canada and this year Revelstoke, British Columbia is proud to host. Come learn the latest research and management techniques being applied across the range of whitebark and other high elevation five-needle pines. This year’s theme focuses on human impacts to five-needle pines, whether it be to bolster populations through conservation and restoration efforts or minimize the impacts of industry operations. Everyone is welcome and invited to attend.
Conference and Field Trip Schedule
The event has varying locations. The first field trip will be in Vernon, the conference in Revelstoke, and the mountain tour in Golden, BC. Please see the below map for an overview of the locations.
- Wednesday October 11th: 13:00-15:30 PT. Field day to visit the Kalamalka Research Station in Vernon, BC (3401 Reservoir Rd) for a tour of the Rust Inoculation and Screening Testing Facility. hosted by the BC Ministry of Forests. A Scion collection demo will also be available. In the evening, between 6-8, meet up at the fabulous Mt. Begbie Brewing for a networking event in Revelstoke.
- Thursday October 12th: 08:15-16:30 PT. Day one of the Science & Management Conference in Revelstoke, BC featuring a variety of speakers and dedicated afternoon poster session and silent auction. From 18:00 onwards there will be a movie screening, talk (Whitebark 101), and social evening with live music by the Tulsa Naturals!
- Friday October 13th: 08:30-16:30 PT. Day two of the Science & Management Conference in Revelstoke; expect more exciting speakers and presentations as well as the WPEFC AGM at noon.
- Saturday October 14th: 9:45 rendezvous for carpooling and 12:00-1500 PT. Join WPEFC on a private, guided tour of whitebark pine stands at the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort; Golden, BC
Open Talk and Education Night
Join us for a free talk and screening of breathtaking whitebark pine films followed by a social with Nelson BC’s very own Tulsa Naturals on the evening of October 12th (18:00-21:00) at the Revelstoke Community Centre.
Who should Attend this Conference?
The Whitebark Pine Ecosystem Foundation of Canada (WPEFC) brings together researchers, managers, students, and enthusiasts of whitebark and high elevation five-needle pines from across western Canada and the United States. If you study, spend time in, manage and/ or appreciate high elevation forested ecosystems, this conference is for you! The conference will be an opportunity to discuss best management practices, cutting edge research and network with professionals and conservationists from across the range of whitebark pine.
Call for Abstracts (Talks/ Posters)
Is now closed.
Registration is currently open. Register Now! Note that coffee/ tea/ snack and lunch will be provided included with your conference registration (October 12th and 13th). Please indicate any dietary restrictions.
Registration Rates (Starting July 1st)
Non-member $190 (a complementary WPEFC membership will be included in your registration)
WPEF member $150
Field Trip $10 per field trip (select one or both)
Student rate $75 (a complementary WPEFC membership will be included in your registration)
Where to Stay
There are many options of places to stay in Revelstoke. Three hotels have confirmed conference rates and may be accessed by calling them directly and mentioning the “Whitebark pine conference room block”. Linked below, these are:
$129 CAD — Code “Whitebark pine conference”
$155 CAD — Code “Whitebark pine conference”
$100 & $110 CAD — Code “Whitebark pine conference”
Interested in Volunteering?
Would you like to lend a hand to help out at the conference? We’re always happy to have extra hands. Let us know if you’re interested and we’ll put you to work.
The Whitebark Pine Ecosystem of Canada is pleased to be working with the following fine organizations on this year’s events:
Many thanks to the event sponsors that provide financial assistance and in kind support to make this conference possible. If you are interested in helping to Sponsor the event, please get in touch.